Friday, September 4, 2009

Evaluation of Lottery Tickets so far in 2009

Evaluation of Lottery Ticket Category in 2009: I did a calculation of my unrealized and realized gains so far in 2009 in the LT category, consisting of individual securities purchased with less than $300 in capital. Of the 15 sells, I netted a short term profit of $1,134.20 on a total capital investment of $2,677.71. Three were sold at losses with the highest being $73.25. The largest single gain was 50 shares of CBG sold in a retirement account at a $351 profit on a $127 investment. All calculations included commission costs, and mostly the holding period was a few weeks.

I also found that I have too many open positions after counting them. There are 28 open positions with a total capital investment of $6,269.8 and an unrealized profit as of Friday's close of $2,636.09, with 2 unrealized profits of over $400, two between $300 to $400 and 4 between $100 and $200. Four have unrealized losses with the highest at $55.78.

I will need to pare a few before adding more. 28 small positions is more than I want to try and monitor. Something tells me that I should not have two Chinese semiconductor companies selling at less than the cash on their balance sheet.

Added: I overlooked two profitable unrealized gains, bringing the total to 30 current positions. The two overlooked include the most profitable of all of them, GRTPRF. The other was GRT, the common shares.

No comments:

Post a Comment