Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Regional Bank Stock Basket as of 1/5/22

In a comment yesterday, I noted that I was going to compile a list of stocks owned in my regional bank stock basket, the number of shares owned and the current average cost per share. This proved to be a onerous task given the number of stocks where ownership was spread out over several accounts. I included the shares owned in my Roth IRA accounts and 3 taxable accounts.  

As of today, I have a $57,419.34 total realized gain starting in 2009. Regional Bank Basket Strategy (contains trade snapshots). 

As of 9:41 A.M. CST today, the total value was at $46,889.44. I would have guessed $65K which is one good reason why I needed to compile this list. The unrealized gain was then at $14,226.84

I took the following snapshots shortly before that time: 





I really need to do this for all baskets and I plan to, having put those tasks on my list of things to do within the next 5 years. 

Many years ago, I had compiled lists and published them either here or SeekingAlpha. But I quit doing that since it was too time consuming and onerous, problems that I created by the sheer number of holdings spread out over multiple accounts. 

The largest holding in this basket is NYCB, and that has more to do with my trading failure rather than an opinion about the stock. I started off trading NYCB with several profitable trades and then got stuck with less than optimal purchases that were followed by a  significant number of average downs. I was willing to average down based on valuation and dividend yield.  

The percentage gain for several stocks has been juiced higher by selling my highest cost lots, a frequent occurrence throughout my portfolio as a risk management technique. 

I have no background in the banking industry, but have arrived at a comfort level when selecting stocks, focusing attention on the following metrics:

P/E Ratio TTM and Forward 12 Months Estimated
Dividend Yield at my cost
Dividend Growth over a long period (and cuts)
Net Interest Margin (NIM)
Efficiency Ratio
NPL Ratio (non-performing loans as a % of total loans)
NPA Ratio (non-performing assets as a % of total assets)
Coverage Ratio (reserves as a percentage of non-performing loans) 
Charge off ratio 
Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Tangible Equity (ROTE)
Tangible Book Value per share
Capital Ratios
Loan and Deposit Growth
Historical Trends of the foregoing 
 
Back in 2010-2012, I placed some emphasis on regional  banks that refused to take TARP money and did not reduce their dividends during the Near Depression period (2008) and its aftermath. 

DisclaimerI am not a financial advisor, but simply an individual investor who has been managing my own money since I was a teenager. In this post, I am acting solely as a financial journalist focusing on my own investments. The information contained in this post is not intended to be a complete description or summary of all available data relevant to making an investment decision. Instead, I am merely expressing some of the reasons underlying the purchase or sale of securities. Nothing in this post is intended to constitute investment or legal advice or a recommendation to buy or to sell. All investors need to perform their own due diligence before making any financial decision which requires at a minimum reading original source material available at the SEC and elsewhere. A failure to perform due diligence only increases what I call "error creep". Stocks, Bonds & Politics: ERROR CREEP and the INVESTING PROCESS Each investor needs to assess a potential investment taking into account their personal risk tolerances, goals, and situational risks. I can only make that kind of assessment for myself and my family members.

3 comments:

  1. I spent the last hour double checking all entries and found one error. The correct average cost per share for AROW is $27.81.I apparently punched in the wrong keys on my calculator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to have the metrics list. Thanks!

    Merely compiling my networth takes a while going to all the accounts I wound up with - chasing rates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Land: I compile my net worth number semia-annually and it takes about 1/10th of the time that I just spent compiling the data for my regional bank basket.

      I am happy with a 4% annual increase in my net worth after paying all expenses. So far, I have not had to dip into principle since income (dividends, interest, capital gains) and SS has more than covered my expenses

      Delete