Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Dark Force Speaks-RB Can Not Watch/Cramer & Consumer Staples/RB Asks for Help/

One thing that I have not yet done which is permissible under the Vix Allocation Model is to invest the cash flow building up since the end of February 2009.   RB is more or less in charge of timing that deployment, and it says that the market does not feel right.  So here we are at HQ sitting on our hands again, momentarily stuck in indecision.

Since I am allowed to invest cash flow into stocks, I keep track of what is about to hit the account.  I know for example that the two TCs with the senior AT & T bond will pay me on the 15th, along with some others. I checked the WSJ dividend page and see that one of my closed end funds which pays a monthly dividend (EOI) will go ex in a few days.  One of the newer editions in the synthetic floater area announced its distribution, GYB, and it has already gone ex  interest for its quarterly payment due on the 15th also.    I am going to have to cut down on writing this blog for a few days so LB can help RB choose some stocks to buy with the cash buildup. 

I am not a Cramer follower.  I listen to him however, sometimes he makes some sense to me. He is too hectic for an old codger.  He was all disturbed last night about the consumer stocks doing well.  Those were the stocks that I bought with most of the dough raised by the short term bond sales, and I have been listening to Cramer criticize them since I started buying with a little gusto in early March. (e.g.  TheStreet.com)  I have been buying the names that Cramer said don't buy.  Admittedly my time frame on those investments was not a week or a month, but I was trying to pick stocks at a reasonable price with a good dividend and stable finances for a 3 to 7 year hold, with some trading to reduce risk,  to lower the cost basis of individual security positions, and to move out of some names that hit price targets quickly and  to plow those funds into another still in a buy range, a typical trading pattern here at the trading desk, even for a group of stocks being held for the long term.  So far, I have only traded Coca Cola, disposing of the higher cost shares at a profit,  leaving only shares purchased in the 38 and change level.   

The Dark Force was on Face the Nation last Sunday, claiming that "enhanced interrogation techniques" saved thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of lives.  Cheney CBS News
RB can not watch the Dark Force, so it is up to LB to pay attention to what he has to say. LB just finds the former Veep to be an interesting character study.  The DF is claiming in effect that torture produced actionable intelligence that prevented a second wave of attacks, the same claim that he has been making to justify a violation of U.S. and international law.  I would just point out that the FBI director is on record saying no attacks were thwarted by enhanced interrogation methods.    vanityfair.com So who do you believe?  Is Conservatism Consistent with Support of Bush's Enhanced Interrogation Techniques/NVS, EBAY, COP, Nestle, JNJ, EMC

One frequent topic of my blog is the need for the Republican Party to evolve and how conservatism has been corrupted with beliefs antithetical to it:

RB had an idea that has already been broached in this blog.  Cheney and W would volunteer to participate in a new 4 week reality show, where they would both be waterboarded 183 times and asked questions about their representations to the American public justifying the invasion of Iraq. That would be the highest rated TV show in history, RB purred. 


Cheney recently said that he would prefer having Rush Limbaugh in the GOP rather than Colin Powell.   CBS News   That is not what I meant by evolving.   If the GOP wants to be the party of religious zealots and Rush Limbaugh "conservatives", then it is on the path of becoming a fringe polticial party.  Maybe the GOP really needs to go back to the Reagan playbook, rather than just pretending to do so, update a few matters to bring themselves into the 21st Century and out of the 13th where they now are. 

2 comments:

  1. I like your blog.I'm waiting for your new posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, I enjoy writing it and I am always a little surprised myself about what I write about since I am not sure where I am going when I start to type. Whatever pops out of the brain hits the screen

    ReplyDelete